Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Freedom from Nothing! Anupam Kher at Telegraph National Debate 2016

I was forwarded this video of Anupam Kher at the Telegraph National Debate a few days back!

I saw upto four minutes of the video and then shut it off! For I felt Mr. Kher was doing what he does best, playing to the gallery! Mr. Kher, immense respect for you, but here's why I stopped viewing your video:

  1. You were personally in accusing your co-panelist, Retd. Justice Ganguly. That's not done! Debates are to put forward your views. Not get personal.
  2. You didn't have your facts right. '84 emergency! Nope. If a person of public stature does not have this fact right, how can I hope for researched views?
  3. JNU Matter - the matter you referred to is sub-judice. None of us can pass a judgement on that. Plus being abreast with current affairs is important. Independent forensic labs said that the tapes are doctored.
That's when I decided to stop viewing the video. At four minutes and a few seconds. Found it beyond amusing!

You know, my problem is not with you as an individual. My problem is with all of us, Indians. We've started getting the mentality of either you are with us else you are against us. We've become too myopic, too blind! We need to start asking, questioning and tolerating (sic!) difference of opinion.

I quote words of Guru Rabindranath Tagore that we all learnt in junior school:
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost it's way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit.Where the mind is led forward by thee into ever widening thought and action.
In to that heaven of freedom, my father, 
LET MY COUNTRY AWAKE!

No comments: