A few months to four years of having started Phonon, we go for our first international sales call tomorrow. Lessons that I learnt:
- One happy customer is better than ten sales people.
- Stick to the basics, operational excellence, product differentiation and cost leadership.
- Stick to the other basic, hang on; its rosier than you thought.
- Focus! Focus! Focus!
- Love what you do. Your passion reflects in your work.
- Know what you do and say. Stand by your words.
- Rolling your sleeves and getting to the job is the best way of solving the problem.
- Solve your customers' problems like they were your own. If the customer makes money, so do you.
- Focus on your tasks at hand!
- Bite just a little more than what you can chew, not a lot more.
- Build a team and delegate. People want to take ownership; make them grow with you!
- Opportunity knocks...very gently. Got to be alert; got to be wise.
- Be cool!! A calm mind always makes better decisions.
- Serve with a smile; even if on the phone.
- Last but not the least, did I say, Focus?
Good luck, Phonon!!